Saturday, September 10, 2011

Adventure ideas + graphics

The foes that you encounter within the adventure segment of Milk Tea will mostly be ghosts. Your goal will be to help them find inner peace so that they may move on to the spirit world (or wherever we decide they go). Ghosts can appear in various forms, so the idea will allow for much creativity. As for how you help the ghosts, it will vary depending on the ghost. Most ghosts will be easy to deal with so you can use one of your basic abilities to deal with them. For boss-type ghosts though, you will need to deal with them differently. The idea is that each boss will be unique, so we can really get creative with them. Perhaps some bosses can be defeated by solving interesting puzzles.

As a final note, I'm still unsure about what kind of abilities the little girls could possibly use. Maybe dancing, cute poses, and magical items could be used primarily. I don't want to use generic magical items though. Let's come up with some unique magical items.

Oh, and before I forget to mention it elsewhere... The perspective of the game will be a top down view along the lines of The Legend of Zelda. As for the specific sprite design, that hasn't been decided yet. I'd like to use a style that doesn't include really large heads though, so not like the sprites used for The Legend of Zelda. Hopefully I'll have some images posted sometime this coming week that show the general style that I have been considering. Although I'd originally considered 8-bit, I've since then changed my mind. The different outfits wouldn't work out as well in 8-bit form.

3 comments:

  1. Will there be 8-Directional movement, or will it be limited to 4 directions? I'd prefer 8.

    As for the graphics: As far as head to body ratio goes, 16-bit "Illusion of Gaia" style sprites would probably be best for this to make the clothing more detailed, but the view of the game would have to be at a lower angle than it is in "The Legend of Zelda". Otherwise the characters would look out of place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also prefer 8-directional, so that is how it will be done. That may make things a real pain in the ass though as far as sprite design is concerned. Hopefully we can manage to get a lot of clothing options in the game.

    I checked out some images of Illusion of Gaia. It looks pretty good. I'm not sure if that is the style that I'll opt for, but I'll consider it. If that is the case, at least I'll have some nice sprites to base my sprites around. I may opt to make all of the sprites a bit larger though so that we have more space to work with. I think large sprites could be nice, especially on larger screens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may limit the sprite animations to 4-directional for the sake of making things easier. It won't look quite as nice, but it'll really help cut development time.

    ReplyDelete